Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad timeline


Date Notes
June 12, 1869 Atlantic & Lake Erie Railway Company certificate of incorporation filed in the Secretary of State's office, with power to construct and operate a line of railroad between Pomeroy, Ohio and Toledo, via Athens, New Lexington, Central City, Mount Gilead, Bucyrus, and Fostoria, a distance of 235 miles. John M. Killits - Toledo and Lucas County 1623-1923, p. 549 and American Railroad Manual of 1873
1876 Atlantic & Lake Erie Railway Company name changed to Ohio Central Railway Company
November 1878 Ohio Central Ry. reorganized into Columbus & Sunday Creek Valley. Date conflict
December 1879 Columbus & Sunday Creek Valley became Ohio Central RR. Date conflict
December 1879 Atlantic & Lake Erie Railway Company sold to satisfy creditors. The purchasers reorganized under the name of the Ohio Central Railroad Company. Soon after this, a consolidation was effected with the Sunday Creek Valley Railroad Company and a branch from Corning to Shawnee projected. This conflicts with the above two dates and needs to be reconciled John M. Killits - Toledo and Lucas County 1623-1923, p. 550
1880 The Ohio Central Railroad Company's Corning to Columbus branch was completed. Commemorative Historical and Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio - p 188
January 1, 1881 The Ohio Central Railroad Company had 65 miles in operation between Corning and Columbus and 148 miles in operation between Toledo and Bush's Station. John M. Killits - Toledo and Lucas County 1623-1923, p. 550
1881 The Toledo & Indianapolis Railroad projected, with Findlay as one of the principal points on the line. Two years later it was reorganized as the Toledo, Columbus & Southern and the route was changed to Columbus instead of Indianapolis. On November 1, 1892 it became the Columbus Division of the Toledo & Ohio Central Railway. John M. Killits - Toledo and Lucas County 1623-1923, p. 550
January 27, 1883 First hand-car rolled into Bowling Green, Ohio over the Toledo & Indianapolis. Commemorative Historical and Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio - p 188
January 30, 1883 Last spike driven in the Toledo & Indianapolis. Passenger trains brought invited guests to the barbecue at Allentwon, or Cygnet, in Bloom Township, given by E. Shinabarger, the owner of the village, in recognition of the completion of the road. Commemorative Historical and Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio - p 188
May 1883 Toledo & Indianapolis started operations. Later became Toledo, Columbus & Southern.
September 29, 1883 The Ohio Central Railroad Company passed into the hands of a receiver. John M. Killits - Toledo and Lucas County 1623-1923, p. 550; Commemorative Historical and Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio - p 188
April 15, 1885 The Ohio Central Railroad Company was sold by order of the court. It was purchased by a committee acting for the bondholders and was reorganized as the Toledo & Ohio Central Railway Company. Source conflict with June 1885 date John M. Killits - Toledo and Lucas County 1623-1923, p. 550; Commemorative Historical and Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio - p 188
May 1885 Toledo, Columbus & Southern reorganized from Toledo, Columbus & Cincinnati
June 1885 Ohio Central RR reorganized. Trackage north of Corning became T&OC; trackage south of Corning became Kanawha & Ohio Source conflict with April 15, 1885 date
June 29, 1885 Toledo and Ohio Central incorporated in Ohio and acquired the main line and Columbus branch of the Ohio Central R.R.
August 1886 The Toledo & Ohio Central Railway Company leased a portion of the Kanawha & Ohio Railroad. Commemorative Historical and Biographical Record of Wood County, Ohio - p 188
December ?, 1889 Hocking Valley Railway Company acquired ownership of the T&OC, including the Kanawha and Michigan
April 24, 1890 Kanawha and Michigan Ry. incorporated
November 1, 1892 The Toledo & Ohio Central Railway Company purchased the Columbus Division, giving the company another connection with Toledo. Were the assets of the Toledo, Columbus & Southern purchased? John M. Killits - Toledo and Lucas County 1623-1923, p. 550
November 1892 Toledo, Columbus & Cincinnati merged into the T&OC
April 1893 Kanawha & Michigan reorganized from Kanawha & Ohio
August 9, 1897 Columbus & Northwestern Railway started. Later became the Columbus, Lima and Northwestern
August 1898 Columbus & Northwestern Railway began operations
September 21, 1900 Columbus Northwestern Railway purchased by W. B. Strang, Jr. and Charles M. Haskell for $200,200. Reincorporated as Columbus, Lima and Northwestern
November 3, 1900 Columbus, Lima and Northwestern Railway restarted (former Columbus Northwestern)
March 1, 1901 Columbus and Northwestern Railway purchased by the T&OC and operated as the St. Mary's Division
April 7, 1902 Zanesville Terminal R.R. incorporated - later run by Z&W and PRR
October 17, 1902 Zanesville and Western R.R. incorporated
January 20, 1903 Kanawha and West Virginia incorporated - same source offer conflicting dates
September 1, 1903 Toledo and Ohio Central Railway purchased the entire stock of the Zanesville and Western
May 16, 1905 Kanawha and West Virginia incorporated - same source offer conflicting dates
March 22, 1910 Chesapeake and Ohio Railway assumed operations of the Hocking Valley Railway Company
1910 Toledo and Ohio Central acquired by New York Central - partially disagrees with following - info from NYCRRM
April 11, 1913 Middleport and Northeastern Ry. incorporated
March 14, 1914 Decree handed down in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, Eastern Division ordering the C&O and LS&MS to sell their K&M shares
June 1, 1914 By court decree, Chesapeake and Ohio Railway sold Kanwawha and Michigan Railway shares to the Toledo & Ohio Central
The Chesapeake and Ohio Railway sold 4,029,200 shares and the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway sold 4,029,600 shares, leaving the Toledo & Ohio Central with about 99.5% control of the K&M
[December 23?], 1914 New York Central & Hudson River RR was merged with the LS&MS to form the New York Central Railroad Company.
The "Lines" herald had been in effect circa 1903 Jeff English - NYC-Railroad 05 Oct 2004
December 26, 1917 President Wilson signs the Federal Possession and Control Act nationalizing the majority of US railroads. http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1438416
December 28, 1917 President Woodrow Wilson uses the Federal Possession and Control Act to take possession of "each and every system of transportation...within the boundaries of the United States." This creates the U.S. Railroad Administration.
March 21, 1918 The Railroad Control Act became law; it guaranteed the return of the railroads to their former owners within 21 months of a peace treaty, and guaranteed that their properties would be handed back in at least as good a condition as when they were taken over. http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1438416
January 29, 1918 Federal Valley R.R. chartered - later under T&OC federal control in 1919
May 5, 1920 Bailey Run, Sugar Creek and Athens Ry. incorporated
March 20, 1920 The United States Railroad Administration is abolished, returning control of all railroads to their owners
source differs from next entry
March 1, 1920 United States Railroad Administration relinquished control of the railroads to the companieshttp://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1438416
January 31, 1922 Toledo and Ohio Central leased to the New York Central
includes the railroad, properties and franchises of the T&OC, including the leasehold interests acquired in the Kanawha & Michigan Ry. and the Zanesville & Western Ry., and also the Kanawha & West Virginia RR. through the lease to the K&M
March 15, 1926 The Toledo & Ohio Central Railway places a new coal dumper in service at the mouth of the Maumee River at Toledo. The dumper will handle lake coal moving through the Cincinnati gateway. The dumper is capable of handling the new 150-ton coal gondolas used by the Virginian Railway.
July 25, 1927 first cTc on any railroad's track operational on former T&OC (now New York Central) single track between Berwick, OH to Stanley Yard
July 1, 1935 The New York Central Lines (subsidiary companies) are renamed the New York Central System Chris Granger - NYC-Railroad 05 Oct 2004; Mark Tomlonson - DailyRRHist 01 Jul 2005
1938 Kanawha and Michigan merged with/into the Toledo and Ohio Central
1938 Kanawha and Ohio merged with/into the Toledo and Ohio Central
1938 Zanesville and Western merged with/into Toledo and Ohio Central
1938 Middleport & Northeastern Ry Co merged into the T&OC
1939 Roman lettering was officially replaced by Gothic (sans-serif) on NYC System Richard Stoving - NYC-Railroad 06 Oct 2004
1952 Toledo and Ohio Central merged into New York Central
April 27, 1966 ICC approved the merger of the New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroad
February 1, 1968 New York Central and Pennsylvania Railroad merged into Penn Central (the New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad was merged in at the end of 1968)
June 21, 1970 Penn Central filed for bankruptcy under Section 77 of the Bankruptcy Act
April 1, 1976 Conrail began operations on the former Central Railroad of New Jersey, Erie Lackawanna, Lehigh & Hudson River, Lehigh Valley, Penn Central, and Reading
(Conrail's history page lists Lehigh & Hudson River while the Penn Central Historical page lists Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines instead)
Spring of 1997 Norfolk Southern Corporation and CSX Corporation agreed to acquire Conrail through a joint stock purchase
July 23, 1998 Surface Transportation Board officially approved the acquisition and restructuring of Conrail
1998 As part of the Conrail breakup, Norfolk Southern acquires the Conrail West Virginia Secondary (former T&OC/K&M/Z&W track from south of Charleston, West Virginia, to Buckeye Yard in Columbus, Ohio) and is now part of the NS Pocohontas Division
CSX acquired the little remaining T&OC trackage north of Columbus
   
??? Kanawha & West Virginia absorbed by Kanawha and Michigan?
Back to the TOP of this page

The following is from PRR Corporate History. This information has not been integrated with the above table yet. The web site cites Valuation Reports Vol. 23 Interstate Commerce Commission Washington, DC January 1929
The Columbus and Eastern Railroad Company Feb. 20, 1882 under general laws of Ohio Sold to The Columbus, Shawnee & Hocking Railway Company, Jan. 1, 1890
Not clear if this piece ended up with the Z&W.
The Sandusky and Columbus, Lake Erie and Southern Short Line Railway Company Apr. 20, 1889 under general laws of Ohio Name changed to The Sandusky and Columbus Short Line Railway Company, Oct. 22, 1891
Not clear if this piece ended up with the Z&W.
The Columbus, Shawnee & Hocking Railway Company Oct. 24, 1889 under general laws of Ohio Consolidated Dec. 30, 1893, with The Sandusky and Columbus Short Line Railway Company, to form The Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railway Company.
Not clear if this piece ended up with the Z&W.
The Sandusky and Columbus Short Line Railway Company Oct. 22, 1891 Consolidated Dec. 30, 1893, with The Columbus, Shawnee & Hocking Railway Company, to form The Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railway Company. Was renamed from The Sandusky and Columbus, Lake Erie and Southern Short Line Railway Company.
Not clear if this piece ended up with the Z&W.
The Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railway Company Dec. 30, 1893, through filing consolidation agreement dated Nov. 17, 1893 under general laws of Ohio Sold under foreclosure Oct. 19, 1895, to a purchasing committee, who, on Nov. 4, 1895, reconveyed the property to The Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railroad Company.
The Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railroad Company Aug. 22, 1895 under general laws of Ohio Sold under foreclosure Sept. 24, 1902, to Paul D. Cravath. Cravath represented the combined interests of the Pennsylvania Company and Hocking Valley RR when he purchased the Columbus, Sandusky & Hocking at foreclosure, so there must have be some prior agreement to divide the property. Also on Sept. 24, 1902, conveyed part to The Toledo, Walhonding Valley & Ohio Railroad Company. Remainder sold Oct. 16, 1902, to The Zanesville and Western Railway Company and not a part of property owned by The Toledo, Columbus and Ohio River Railroad Company on date of valuation. On Oct. 15, 1902, the part north of Columbus was sold to the Toledo, Walhonding Valley & Ohio Railroad and found its way into the PRR system. The part south of Columbus was sold on Oct. 16 to the Zanesville & Western Railway Co. The Z&W was controlled by the Toledo & Ohio Central, into which it was merged on Dec. 15, 1937
Back to the TOP of this page


Comments, Corrections, Additions?!


Return to the Unofficial Toledo and Ohio Central Home Page
This page has been accessed   times since July 7, 1999
Last modified on: Thursday, 20 March 2008
©1999-2008 Mark Plank - e-mail